Monday, 5 May 2014

So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish

Although I have one more month at IITM before I officially graduate, handing over the responsibilities as the institute water-polo captain made me so very aware of how little time I have left here. And of all the places in the institute that hold memories so close to heart, the pool is probably the one I am going to miss the most. If home is any place where you belong, the swimming pool at IITM was definitely one for me. This is the farewell letter I sent to the institute water-polo team.

Hi all,

My tenure as the captain of the institute water-polo team has come to an end.

Being a part of the team has always been a matter of great pride for me, and it has been a great pleasure and honour to have served the team from this position. Devika, Anand, and Satra have been chosen to take up the captaincy positions for the next year, and I am very confident that they will do a great job.

The past year has been a wonderful year for the sharks and for me personally, and I would like to thank every one of you for the experience and the memories. More importantly, from where I stand, I see a new team full of promise and enthusiasm, and for that, I thank all the juniors. My biggest wish is that, someday, the sharks will win the treble, and with the enthusiasm and the talent in the new team, I won't be surprised if that comes to fruition in the immediate future.

Go Sharks!
Sincerely,
Bonus, Insti Goalie da.

I thank all the people I have played with; especially Prabhat, for teaching me the sport and showing me that there was a sport I could be good at. And Veena and Amrutha, for all the moral support and love - from the early tense moments owing to inexperience and to the recent tense moments owing to experience; almost every match I didn't fade on stage was probably because of either of them. And lastly, I have to thank Superman, for being the unknown adversary I always had to be prepared for.

When I look around at the current team and the people who are graduating along with me, I can't help but recollect the quote from Troy. But in my head, it sounds like this -

If they ever tell my story let them say that I walked with giants. Men rise and fall like the winter wheat, but these names will never die. Let them say I lived in the time of Crunchy, tamer of lob shots/ Roja, tamer of center forwards/ GPS, tamer of power. Let them say I lived in the time of Tokas.

1 comment:

  1. Can't believe I hadn't read it till now! I feel all senti reading this, getting reminded of insti practices! It has been barely a few months, and I miss it already!

    ReplyDelete